After spending the last month galavanting around the country side for Christmas, work trips and the Aus Open, I was hanging for some home cooking. We stopped off at the grocery store on the way home the airport and picked up some fresh leek, coconut cream and rice and corn spiral pasta – I wanted to make soup with a TWIST!
So many people think of soup as a winter food but throughout all of this deliciously humid australian summer I have been enjoying soups. Several reasons why – they are fresh and simple, can be frozen into perfect portions, healthy (or as naughty) as you like, easily digestible, and YUMMY!
Now on with my creation! I have used two tablespoons of YIAH Greek Taverna spice blend in this recipe. You can find out more about YIAH products from my previous post, leave a comment or check out the website.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or whatever oil you like to cook with)
- 5-8 cloves garlic, sliced (I love garlic)
- 2 medium leeks, roughly chopped
- 5-6 medium potatoes, roughly chopped
- 400ml can of coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons YIAH Greek Taverna spice blend
- 1 cube vegetable stock cube and 5 cups of hot water
- optional: 2 cups rice and corn spiral pasta cooked separately
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in large pot, add garlic and saute for a few mins
- Add chopped potatoes and leek, stock cube, hot water and YIAH Greek Taverna spice blend, salt and cracked pepper, bring to boil then simmer for 15 mins
- Take off the heat and blend with a hand-mixer until there are no lumps (make as smooth or lumpy as you like)
- Stir the coconut cream through and then stir the rice and corn through
- Serve with your favourite toasted bread
I like to add the pasta in as it gives an extra flavour and texture to the soup, however the soup still tastes killer on its own.
I hope you enjoy!!