This is one of my favourite breakfasts. It’s jam-packed with good fats, protein, fibre, low GI carbs and tonnes of flavour while being wheat free (gluten free if you buy the right bread!), dairy free, refined sugar free, nut free!
What you’ll need:
- 1 piece spelt toast (or other wheat free/gluten free variety)
- 1 avocado quarter or half depending on how much you like
- 3 slices of firm tofu cut 5-8mm thick (I don’t measure this – but anything after about 1cm can get too thick)
- 1 egg, whites only (you can use the yolk if you like but yolks don’t work well in my tummy – something to do with the fats I think)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid amino’s (or another gluten-free soy sauce)
- salt, pepper, spices/herbs to taste
Let’s talk about these ingredients for a second. What are we going to get out of them?
The bread contains fibre, low GI carbs (ensure your bread is low GI), and if you manage to snag yourself some ‘ancient grains’ brand bread the smell is delicious! I like the ‘ancient grains’ brand because it’s not doughy, hard or stiff, it is organic, and uses different flours like spelt and kamut in it’s range. It’s also well priced and is the size of a normal loaf – not one of those teeny tiny loaves.
Avocado helps lower cholesterol, is high in fibre, contains carotenoid for good eye health, contains folate, vitamin E, monounsaturated fats (good fats) and Glutathione which all benefit heart health, help prevent diseases and contribute to overall good health. Plus they are yummy and a great alternative to butter and margarine.
TOFU: which I hear people all the time say they hate but many have never tried and just don’t like the idea of. Oh my GOODNESS IT’S AMAZING! I can’t believe I haven’t had tofu my whole LIFE! Tofu is another one for lowering cholesterol, is a source of vitamin E and calcium (great for people who aren’t getting enough calcium due to a lack of dairy) and is hugely rich in PROTEIN! It is my favourite way to get protein into my diet.
Egg WHITES: A couple of reasons why I like egg-white only (two of which are completely personal) 1) I don’t like the flavour of yolk 2) yolks make me sick in the tummy, reason is not yet determined, but I believe the reason I don’t like the taste is because they are no good for me. The rest of the reasoning: half the protein of an egg is in the whites so you are still getting good protein from the white, the yolk contains the all the cholesterol and fats. So feel free to use all of the egg if you wish.
Coconut oil is made up of medium-chain saturated fatty acids, it is easy to digest, aids digestion , contains anti fungal, anti viral and anti bacterial properties supporting your immune system, has a higher smoking point which means the components of the oil don’t change making it safer to cook with, has been known to cut sugar cravings and assist with weight control.
What do we do with all this?
- Put 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a small frying pan on medium heat and add the egg white. You can scramble this or cook whole like a normal fried egg, put to the side.
- Put the 2nd tablespoon of coconut oil in the small frying and fry the tofu strips, while the bottom is cooking add your salt, pepper and spices or herbs. I like to use a red tomato bush pepper blend.
- Turn the tofu to cook the other side, add in the braggs aminos – drizzle on the tofu and in the pan. After another minute you can turn the tofu once more to sizzle the braggs on the top of the tofu.
- While cooking tofu – cook your toast
- Spread the avocado on the toast (no butter!) top with the egg whites and tofu, ENJOY!!
I hope you enjoy this, it is a homemade Ali special – I had to share it, it is easy and healthy while tasting great!
Leave out the eggs for a vegan version!
See you next time xx